Pre Challenge InformationWhat you need to know before the challenge!
The Purbeck Nordic Walking Marathon and Nordic 16 both start at 8am
Whether you have never completed walks of this distance before or you are a seasoned Nordic walker, we’re sure you realise that training is essential. Remember to listen to your body and take care not to leave niggling injuries untreated. Eat and sleep well and remember to taper your training as the challenge date approaches so that you have enough energy for the big day.
Why not follow our training plan for the Nordic Marathon and Nordic 16
Nordic 16 Training Plan designed by Gill Stewart and the Nordic Marathon Training Plan designed by last years winner Matt Gibbs!
NOTE – Both Nordic Walking events will start on the Downs overlooking Swanage Pier, adjacent to the Broad Rd car park. However they will both finish in Sand pit field after walking along the first part of Shore Road.
Numbers and Chips
All numbers and chips will need to be collected before event day
You will be able to collect your number and chip from the Hub in Corfe Castle on Thursday 13th September between 4pm to 7pm or on Friday the 14th Sept from 8am to 8pm.
If you are unable to make these times please contact us on 0333 12345 40.
Please ensure that you complete the form on the reverse of your challenge number. This is for your own safety; we need medical and contact information should anything prevent you finishing the challenge.
Please see a map of the key locations in Swanage
Chip Timing Mats
There will be mats to register your chips at the start, Tyneham, Corfe Castle and at the finish. It is essential that you walk over these as they are there not only to time you but to ensure that we know who is out on the course.
Directions to Swanage
Swanage is reached by one of two routes;
- Toll Ferry from Sandbanks (£3.50 per car incl passengers), along Ferry Rd and the B3351, through Studland Village and then take the left onto Ulwell Rd, signposted Swanage or
- From Wareham, take the A351 heading south through Corfe Castle and Harmans Cross.
There is no specific parking for event participants; however there are several public pay car Parks which are shown on the Swanage map below. Charges are as follows:
- Long Stay: Broad Rd, Main Beach (Victoria Avenue) – 1hr £1.50, 2hrs £3.00, 4hrs £5.00, 6hrs £6.50, Up to 24 hrs £8.00
- Long Stay: North Beach (De Moulham Rd) – 1hr £1.50m 2hrs £2.50, 4hrs £4.00, 6hrs £5.00, Up to 24 hrs £6
- Short Stay: Mermond Place (closest to finish) – 1hr £1.20, 2hrs £2.10.
- Parking is free between 10pm and 8am Payment can be made by cash or using your mobile phone (you can pre-register) – further details can be found here.
It’s worth noting that if you only want accommodation for 1 night it’s usually better to call than to try and use the online booking tools.